CANDO-SPECIAL EDUCATION PARENT ADVISORY GROUP
CHESTER PARENTS’ ADVISORY – CANDO-SEPAG
Our mission is to facilitate collaboration between students, parents, staff, the Board of Education and the community in order to promote inclusion, understanding of, respect for and support of all children with special needs in our community.
Special Education Parent Advisory Groups are required for all school districts in New Jersey. The purpose of these groups is to provide opportunities for parents and community members to offer input to their districts on critical issues. New Jersey Administrative Code 6A:14-1.2(h) states that:
Each board of education shall ensure that a special education parent advisory group is in place in the district to provide input to the district on issues concerning students with disabilities.
- To provide direct input on the policies, programs, and practices that impact services and supports for students with disabilities.
- To increase the involvement of families of children with special needs.
- To advise on issues that affect the education, health and safety of students with special needs.
- Possible topics of concern:
- Extended school year services- Camp Achieve
- Related Services – Speech- Occupational Therapy- Parent Training –Physical Therapy- Social Skills, etc.
- After-school sports
- Professional Development
- IEP Rights and Responsibilities
- Preschool issues/program
- Organization Skills
- Clubs and Extracurricular Activities
- ELL Second Language Services
- Standardized Testing & Accommodations
- Community Resources
- Social Skills Resources
- Board of Education Policies
What Happens at SEPAG-CANDO Meetings?
- Concerns related to a group of students are shared and discussed.
- Parents will have adequate time to discuss issues among themselves and plan the agenda for the next meeting.
- Speakers, other District Representatives, and Individual Staff members may be invited based upon the requests from the SEPAG.
What else can I do as a member of the SEPAG?
- Volunteer to be a parent representative regarding issues and concerns raised at your individual school.
Please note that SEPAG/CANDO meetings are not the forum for a discussion about individual students or your child's IEP. Topics are limited to those that impact all students or a group of students. Our CANDO meetings provide childcare.